If you are amongst the people that consistently make use of a bottle jack, you should know that bottle jacks are lifting devices and not meant to support loads.
For this purpose, you should have a clear understanding of how to use this lifting device in order to operate it safely.
Before you use a bottle jack, carefully inspect it to make sure that there are no irregularities by doing the following;
- Check if the jack is broken.
- Inspect thoroughly for any damaged part.
- Make sure that some parts are not bent.
- Check if the jack has been previously subjected to a shock load.
Things You Should Not Forget:
- Carefully go through the instructions of how to make use of this jack before using it.
- Make sure that while in use, you do not exceed the rated capacity of the bottle jack.
- Do not forget that the bottle jack is not meant for aircraft lifting and lowering.
- Make sure that the model of your bottle jack matches to the application instruction given to you.
- Carefully inspect your bottle jack to familiarize yourself with the components so that you will be able to prevent accidents.
- Properly check the handle to make sure that both the springs and the clips match the slots provided.
- Understand the primary workings of your bottle jack by using the handle provided to turn the release valve.
- Try to find out where the jack's oil filter plug or screw is situated. Bring it out, put in the handle sleeve and pump up to 6-8 times to make sure that the oil level is under the oil filter hole. Then put back the oil filter plug or screw.
- Carefully inspect the extension screw to ascertain that it will lift and lower easily and that the pump will operate smoothly.
- Only use your bottle jack when it is on a hard or level surface.
- Remember that the bottle jack only serves as a lifting device, therefore, when lifting up your load, make sure to support the vehicle with the right materials.
- Even if it is by accident, make sure that you do not adjust the safety valve.
- Do not operate with the bottle jack when you are under the influence of drugs, alcohol, medication or when you are weak.
- Make sure that the jack you are not using is packed safely out of the reach of children and people who are not qualified to use it to avoid injury.
- Only perform jack service if you are qualified to do so to avoid putting yourself in a dangerous position.
- Do not forget to only use replacement parts that match the ones on the bottle jack whenever you are servicing your jack.
Things To Do During Use:
- Make sure that you are clear of the danger zone as you lift and lower the load.
- Always put on the safety goggles and heavy-duty hand gloves that have been approved by ANSI.
- As you are lowering the load, make sure that you do it slowly.
- Before you proceed to lift up your vehicle, always put on the parking brake and the chock tires.
- So as to avoid accidents, make sure to keep your work site clean and not cluttered.
- Do not be distracted while using the jack. Make sure that children, visitors and bystanders are far from your work site.
- During use, as you are lifting one wheel, remember to anchor the load immediately with a jack stand by putting it beneath the side of the vehicle you are lifting. Make sure that the jack saddle is positioned directly below the vehicles seam or at the appropriate lifting point.
- Always be on alert when you are making use of the bottle jack, use your instinct to avoid causing serious injury to yourself.
- As you go ahead to lift the whole front or back end of your vehicle, make sure that the load is fully supported with two jack stands. Position the jack stand saddles accurately below the frame of the vehicle or at the approved lifting range and adjust the jack stands according to the height.
- As you are working beneath the vehicle, make sure that your vehicle is solidly supported with jack stands.
- To perform your jacking services, avoid detrimental oncoming traffic. Make sure that you move far away as you can from the roadside.
- It is dangerous to allow anybody to sit inside the vehicle as you are lifting it, therefore, avoid doing so.
- As you want to lower the vehicle, make sure that you have removed every tool or equipment from under the vehicle.
- When you might have finished with your services, keep the saddle directly under the lifting range. Proceed to turn the handle clockwise strongly so as to close the valve release screw.
After that, pump the upper and lower handle so that you can lift the vehicle a bit above the jack stand saddles. You can then lower the vehicle finally by turning the handle slowly counterclockwise in two full turns thereby lowering the vehicle to the ground and remove the jack stands.
How To Take Care Of The Bottle Jack After Use:
- When you have finally lowered the bottle jack, bring out the oil filler plug that is situated at the side of the housing.
- Bend down the bottle jack so as to enable the former hydraulic oil to totally drain out of its housing.
- Then throw away the already used hydraulic according to the approved disposal standard of your locality.
- Keeping your bottle jack standing, fill to the brim the jack's housing with a high-quality hydraulic oil. Make sure that the oil fill hole is saturated with the oil.
- After that, proceed to put back the oil filler plug.
- Properly clean the jack with mild solvent or detergent, clean thoroughly with a dry cloth.
- Finally, you can store your jack out of the reach of children or unauthorized persons in a totally dry location.