Car owners usually pride themselves with the exterior or their car, polishing and waxing it at regular intervals so that it stays in the best condition.
The aesthetics, however, aren’t of any use if the engine of your car — the part that forms the interior — isn’t in the best shape.
Nobody likes the task of degreasing their car’s engine but it is one of those things that cannot be avoided.
While other parts of the car can be cleaned with soapy water and a piece of cloth, the engine cannot.
Engine degreasers make this task a little easier and help in maintaining your car’s engine and keeping it in top form.
They are specially formulated to help get rid of the gunk that has accumulated in your car’s engine with greater ease.
As different manufacturers have their own special formulas for degreasers, it can be tough to choose the right one.
To help you with this, here is all the information you need when it comes to engine degreasers and a list of the top degreasers in the market.
What Is Really a Good Engine Degreaser?
There are a number of factors that make up the ideal engine degreaser and the most of important of these are discussed below:
1. Smell: Almost every degreaser available in the market has a peculiar smell but may be more bearable than the others.
For example, the smell of some petroleum-based degreasers may not suit you. In such a case, your first option is to either invest in a mask to wear yourself that will keep the smell from reaching your nose.
The other option available to you is buying a perfumed or less smelly degreaser.
2. Multi-Purpose Degreaser: Degreasers aren’t used just on the engine of your car. There are a large number of other uses of a degreaser so you must ask yourself, will you need such a product in your garage or around the house?
If that is the case, you can opt for a multi-purpose degreaser.
Keep in mind that the multi-purpose variants will be milder than the specialized engine degreasers so they can work on a lot more materials but may not be as effective on your car’s engine.
3. Multi-Surface Degreaser: This factor is closely related to the previous point. For example, if you choose a multi-purpose degreaser, you will have to read the instructions carefully to check which surfaces it works on and which surfaces have to be avoided.
Similarly, engine degreasers are more concentrated so there will be a list of materials that they can’t be used on.
4. Safety: An essential characteristic of a good engine degreaser is that it will be able to clean your engine without causing any damage to your hands or parts of the engine itself.
For this, it is extremely important that you look at the chemical composition of the degreaser.
5. Volume and Price: You will need to ascertain how much product you need to keep in your garage before you set out to buy the engine degreaser.
The more the volume of the product, the higher it will be priced.
There are instances where the manufacturer will sell two or more pieces of the product in special deals so look out for those if you are planning to stock up!
Types of Degreasers
There are two basic divisions when it comes to degreasers. The first type is water-based degreasers and the second is petroleum-based degreasers.
These are differentiated on account of how they are made. Each type has its particular distinctions.
1. Petroleum-Based Engine Degreasers: These are made up of natural mineral oils and have two distinguishing features – their affordability and their raw power.
While the first is a definite plus, the latter can be a little problematic as it can be damaging towards certain non-metallic engine parts.
2. Water-Based Degreasers: These degreasers are made by adding different solvents to a water base. This means that while there will be a little more expensive than the petroleum-based degreasers, they are milder without cutting down on the cleaning power.
Water-based degreasers work better on the non-metallic parts and are more environment-friendly than the other option.
Top 5 Reviews of the Best Engine Degreasers
Most Popular Choice: Krud Kutter KK32 Concentrated Engine Degreaser
The Krud Kutter KK32 is an engine degreaser with a well-designed formula that works efficiently to remove extraneous elements like grease, grime or any other gunk in your engine.
It is an effective universal cleaner with a number of benefits. It is water-based and non-toxic, which makes it better for the environment.
The Krud Kutter variant has no added solvents that may be hazardous and can be used on a large variety of materials to achieve great results.
- Wide range of applications
- Great price
- Water-based engine degreaser
- Can remove a number of materials
- The formula is water-based and environmentally friendly.
- It can be used at home or at work without worries about safety.
- Concentrated formula, which makes it more efficient.
- Works on many different materials like metals, tiles and furniture.
- The price may not fit everyone’s budget.
- The bottle may be small for bigger projects.
You can buy this engine degreaser here.
Quick and Effective Cleaning: Purple Power 4320P Industrial Strength Engine Degreaser
The next option for you is the Purple Power degreaser. It is a concentrated formula that comes at a great price for a one-gallon bottle.
The formula is highly concentrated so it cannot be used directly. You will have to dilute it to suit your needs.
The Purple Power variant is extremely powerful – to an industrial strength level – and can remove any stains and dirt in just a matter of seconds.
The use of the product isn’t limited to your car as it is biodegradable, phosphate-free and non-flammable.
- Highly affordable
- Phosphate free
- Industrial level cleaner
- Fast action
- Fast action formula that works in seconds.
- Can be used on a number of surfaces and materials.
- Biodegradable, non-flammable and phosphate-free.
- Cannot be used on glass and painted surfaces.
- There is no spray head.
You can buy it here.
Best Heavy-Duty Option: Chemical Guys Signature Series Orange Degreaser
Chemical Guys Signature Degreaser is one of the best options in the heavy-duty engine degreaser vertical if you need something that is strong.
The product comes in a 16-oz bottle that is equipped with a spray head. The citrus-based formula helps loosen all the gunk on the engine and other parts of the car.
It needs to be diluted before use and should only be used for the toughest cleaning jobs.
- Citrus-based formula
- Highly concentrated for greater efficiency
- Almost melts the grease and dirt
- Professional formula that provides for quick action.
- Universal degreaser that can be used on engines, machinery and tools.
- Formula is highly concentrated and potent.
- Product comes with a spray head so it’s easier to use.
- It’s too strong for most plastic items.
- You’ll need an extra bottle to dilute it because of its high concentration.
This engine degreaser can be bought here.
Multi-Purpose Option: Oil Eater Original Engine Degreaser
As the name suggests, this engine greaser eats oil from industrial machinery, floors, tools and even household items.
The formula is highly concentrated so it is an added benefit that the company offers you a chart to monitor dilution.
This will help you in ascertaining how much water must be added to the solvent to get the best results. It cannot be used on some sensitive materials like suede or warm aluminum.
- Highly concentrated formula
- Wide range of uses
- Affordable pricing
- Easily dissolves all types of grease.
- The formula is not toxic so you don’t to worry about it being harmful.
- Works for both bigger machinery and for household needs.
- Dilution chart included.
- Should not be used on materials like glass, or softer things like leather or suede.
- No dilution bottle and spray head.
You can buy it here.
Best Value: Simple Green 19128 Industrial Degreaser
This degreaser is designed to be a basic one that doesn’t have any added fragrances. The product is safe to use as it is biodegradable, non-flammable and non-corrosive, with multiple applications.
The Simple Green degreaser concentrate has a large number of uses and is ideal for a number of other industries.
This means the uses won’t be limited to your car’s engine. There are multiple offers available on the degreaser that make it quite affordable.
- A large variety of applications
- Safe to use on a number of surfaces
- Fragrance-free so no worries about added smells.
- Color-free formulation that is biodegradable and non-flammable, hence safe to work with.
- Works very well for degreasing in a number of contexts.
- The big packaging may be too large if you have limited use of it.
- There is no applicator bottle included with the product.
You can buy this engine degreaser here.
All the engine degreasers discussed above have their own share of advantages and disadvantages so the ideal option for you will depend on your personal needs and preferences.
If you are looking for a degreaser specifically for your car’s engine and not for other uses within the house, you can opt for the Chemical Guys Signature Series Orange Degreaser.
The Simple Green 19128 Industrial Degreaser comes in a one-gallon packaging and can provide great value if you have a lot of work to do or are handling a large project.
The most popular choice for most people, however, is the Krud Kutter degreaser because of its wide variety of applications and its water-based and environmentally friendly formula.
You can pick the option that works best for you and get down to cleaning all that grease and grime off your engine to bring it back to its best shape.