Wheel spacers can make or break your vehicle. If you find the right fit, your driving experience can be enhanced manifold.
Get stuck with the wrong one and you will be paying for a lot of other damage as well.
The following is a buying guide for wheel spacers followed by a review of the top wheel spacers you can choose from.
Are Wheel Spacers Good or Bad?
Wheel spacers are a device that you insert in your wheel’s hub which pushes the wheel out, allowing you to have a wider track.
It is useful for when you want to fit in a big brake kit (BBK) that is not compatible with your current wheels.
The wheel spacers allow more space for the BBK so there is no interference with the brake caliper.
But the main reason one would want to install a wheel spacer is to have a wider track. This allows for less lateral load transfer, meaning the load on the wheels is distributed more evenly on corners and turnings.
While this is a sure benefit, if you carry out the calculations and were to quantify the benefits, it would be about 2%, if not less.
It could also change the rate of tire wear, reduce the inner-fender well clearance and scrub radius and also cause accidents if not installed properly.
Other than that, however, wheel spacers can improve car handling, improve incorrect offset and enhance the appearance of your car.
Benefits of Wheel Spacers
The following section deals with other benefits of wheel spacers:
By increasing the width of the tire track, invariably the grip provided to the driver will be enhanced. Wider the track, greater the surface area on which the car is balanced. This enhanced grip, naturally, provides a good driving experience.
Improved Car Handling
In continuation from the previous point, wheel spacers help improve car handling. When the car is turning or cornering, there is more space created for the wheels, allowing the weight to be distributed more evenly on all four wheels.
Incorrect Offset Improved
There are cases where the new rims do not fit precisely because of incorrect offset and sizing. Wheel spacers can help fix this issue as it pushes the wheel out and can also fix suspension, prevent interference with the control arms and work on the inside fender liner all at the same time.
Things to Consider before Buying
Wheel spacers come in a range of thickness so it can be hard to determine which one is the right fit for you. If it is too thin, the wheel and caliper interference may still be an issue. If it is too thick, your wheels will continue to hit the internal fenders.
Measuring the Backspace
It is important to measure the backspace of the wheel before you make a purchase as it will allow you to determine the size you should get.
Use a straight edge tool and a ruler to measure the dimensions of the backspace without the wheel spacer. Then repeat the same step, but this time put the wheel spacer in.
The difference in both the measurements will tell you by how much the spacer will push your wheel out.
Wheel and Spacer Combination
Ensure the spacer you are buying is the right fit for your wheel. Try to strike a combination of a lower backspace and a higher offset.
Top Wheel Spacers Reviewed
The following is a review of some of the best wheel spacers available in the market:
Best Automatically Processed Spacer: YITA Motors
This offering from YITA Motors is machine-manufactured from a 6061-T6 forged disc.
The surface is anodized, protecting the spacer from corrosion. The spacer is compatible with a variety of vehicles, including the Jeep Wrangler JK JKU (2007-2017), the Grand Cherokee WJ WK (1999-2010), the Commander XK (2005-2010) and the Dodge Journey (2008-2018).
The spacer increases tire clearance, fixes brake-caliper clearance issues and more. The following are the features of the product:
- The body has 10.9-grade exclusive studs and T8 heat treated forged lug nuts.
- The surface is anodized, providing enhanced resistance to corrosion.
- The wheel spacer is hub centric, providing your vehicle with a powerful appearance.
- It is compatible with a lot of vehicles, like the Jeep Wrangler JK JKU (2007-2017) and the Grand Cherokee WJ WK (1999-2010).
- The CNC automatic processing increases safety. This is opposed to other competitors in the market which use manual processing.
- The body is resistant to corrosion because of the anodized surface.
- It is compatible with several different vehicle models and brands.
- It gives the vehicle a formidable, powerful look.
- It uses CNC automatic processing, which prevents the bolts from breaking off and making the driver vulnerable to danger.
- Some users complained that the lugs are made of soft aluminum, causing them to get loose and fall off after some time.
- Some other users complained of a poor experience with the wheels coming off while the car was still in motion.
The product is available on Amazon.com
Best Aluminum Billet Spacer: KSP Performance
Machine-manufactured from 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum billet, with 10.9-grade bolts, heat treated and hardened, pre-installed, these lug-centric wheel spacers are a promising investment.
These spacers also increase tire clearance, fix brake-caliper clearance issues allow installation of wider and larger tractions.
The wheel spacers are compatible with several different vehicles, including Toyota Tacoma (2001-2018), Toyota Tundra (2000-2006) and the Toyota Sequoia 2001-2007. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- Hub centric wheel spacers with a wheel-centric lip.
- Increased tire clearance, brake-caliper clearance issues fixed.
- Compatible with cars like Toyota Tacoma (2001-2018), Toyota Tundra (2000-2006), Toyota 4Runner (1995-2018), Toyota FJ Cruiser (2007-2018).
- Extremely strong and light, as compared to other spacers made of steel.
- Fits over the hub, removing the possibility of vibrations.
- Machine manufactured from 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum billet.
- The heat treated and hardened 10.9-grade bolts come pre-installed.
- Extremely strong, yet light.
- Compatible with several vehicles.
- Some users complained that they could not get their wheels to be balanced after repeated attempts.
- Some users complained that the spacers did not fit their vehicle even though the manufacturers claimed it was compatible.
The product is available on Amazon.com
Best Studs: Rock Trix
The wheel spacer is machine manufactured for exact fit from aerospace billet aluminum. The surface of the spacer undergoes an anodizing process, making it resistant to corrosion.
The spacer includes pre-installed heat treated 10.9-grade studs.
It gives your vehicle an aggressive, formidable look and improves stability. The wheel spacer also enhances tire clearance so you can install wider wheels and tires. The following are some of the features the wheel spacer has to offer:
- The wheel spacer is compatible with certain Cadillacs, Chevrolet and GMC vehicles. Check the exact year, make and model before placing an order.
- The spacers have a thickness of 50mm, 6 x 139.7 or 6 x 5.5 bolt pattern, 108mm hub bore and 14 x 1.5 threaded studs/nuts.
- The wheel spacers are CNC machined to the exact specifications, from aerospace billet aluminum.
- The surface is anodized to prevent corrosion.
- Heat treated 10.9-grade studs are pre-installed.
- The wheel spacers provide your vehicle with an aggressive, formidable look.
- The surface is anodized.
- Brake-caliper clearance issues are fixed, along with increased stability and improved handling characteristics.
- Some users complained that the wheel spacers were not completely balanced, causing the vehicle to shake even at 75 mph.
- Compatible only with certain cars and models, making it not as versatile.
The product is available on Amazon.com.
Best Lightweight Spacers: ECCPP Wheel Spacers
Made from T6 billet aluminum, with hardened and heat-treated 10.9-grade bolts pre-installed, these wheel spacers from ECCPP are anodized to resist corrosion.
It is strong and sturdy, yet lightweight. The wheel spacers are designed to move your wheels further away from the hub, giving your vehicle better handling and lending it an aggressive stance.
The wheel spacer also increases tire clearance and fixes brake-caliper clearance issues. The following are some of the features the wheel spacers have to offer:
- The two-inch wheel spacer and five-lug fitment is compatible with several vehicles like Jeep Liberty (2006-2012), Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler (1987-20o6), Jeep Comanche (1986-1992) and more.
- Made from true T6 billet aluminum, with hardened and heat-treated 10.9-grade bolts pre-installed.
- Extremely sturdy and strong but also lightweight.
- The sturdy wheel spacer is made with true T6 billet aluminum.
- The surface is anodized so you can prevent corrosion even after long periods of use.
- Increases tire clearance, fixes brake-caliper clearance issues and allows wide, larger or high traction tires to be installed easily.
- Compatible with various vehicles like Jeep Liberty, Jeep Cherokee (1984-2001), Jeep Wrangler (1987-2006), Jeep Comanche (1986-1992), Jeep Grand Cherokee (1993-1998).
- Some users complained that the wheel spacer did not mount well on the rear wheels.
- Some users would have preferred a hub centric model as opposed to a lug-centric one.
The product is available for sale on Amazon.com
There are several options out there in the market when it comes to buying wheel spacers. But, it is important to find one that is the exact fit for your vehicle or you could be putting yourself in danger.
If it is not the right size, there is a good chance the wheel will come off along with the spacer.
The four products mentioned above are one of the highest rated in the market. So make a choice and find something that is the right fit for you!